Independent Online

Monday, May 23, 2022

Like us on FacebookFollow us on TwitterView weather by locationView market indicators

Morningside ANC ward candidate dispute

African National Congress candidate from eThekwini Municipality’s ward 27, Morningside, Linda Zulu. Picture: Supplied

African National Congress candidate from eThekwini Municipality’s ward 27, Morningside, Linda Zulu. Picture: Supplied

Published Aug 30, 2021

Share

DURBAN - AMID accusations of manipulation of nomination of ANC councillor candidates for the upcoming local government elections, eThekwini ward 27 candidate Linda Zulu is claiming he was not on the list despite winning the most votes.

The ward comprises of Morningside, parts of Berea, Greyville and Umgeni Road. Zulu and Yvonne Nsele had been campaigning for the ward. The votes were reportedly accumulated and announced at Windermere Park on August 15 and 18 respectively.

Story continues below Advertisement

Zulu claimed he had 170 community votes while Nsele had 26 votes. Zulu claimed Nsele’s named was submitted to the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC).

“It was a dodgy and questionable move done by the African National Congress local branch. We do not know what happened. We are taking the issue forth to get the answers that we deserve,” said Zulu.

“I have no issues with Nsele, but it is, however, concerning that some candidates can pull a few strings here and there and before we know it, are announced as winners.”

ANC Morningside branch secretary Vuka Mbili said, the IEC had sent out the list of captured candidates for the eThekwini municipality last Tuesday. Mbili said the ANC branch members and the community involved met on Sunday to address the issue.

“ I cannot comment on the issue regarding Yvonne Nsele’s registration with the IEC. I can confirm the branch involved met to discuss how we, as a party can go about winning the elections,” said Mbili.

Morningside community member Sibusiso Ncube, said they wanted to know whether or not Nsele will be able to withdraw her name and or resign from the position.

Story continues below Advertisement

“We were advised that Vuka Mbili had written a letter to the region. He was awaiting a response that could be possibly sent back sometime this week.”

ANC national spokesperson Nhlakanipho Ntombela said that with the secretary having written a letter to the regional office, the appeal team would attend to their matter in due course. The Daily News reached out to Nsele for comment. She is yet to respond.

The ANC has been dodged by claims of alleged manipulation of the process to nominate candidates to stand as ANC councillors in the upcoming local government with some members demanding a re-run.

Story continues below Advertisement

Daily News

Related Topics:

ANCIEC

Share