It’s been seven years since Senzo Meyiwa was killed
Share this article:
AfriForum education rights and private prosecution unit adviser, Natasha Venter, said they believe there is enough evidence to prosecute the mastermind behind the murder of former Bafana Bafana goalkeeper Senzo Meyiwa as we mark seven years on Tuesday since the Orlando Pirates star was shot and killed at his girlfriend’s home on the East Rand.
“We are still of the view and support the position of the SAPS that there exists enough evidence to prosecute the mastermind in what we believe was a contract killing. Our concerns with regard to the Indictment and summary of substantial facts remain, and we do not support the version that it was a robbery that went wrong.
“We will attend court on Monday and hope that the position of the prosecution will become clear. It remains a risk to proceed with the prosecution of suspects in a contract killing without charging the mastermind,” said Venter.
She also added that there had been little progress made by the police, but they have been in constant contact with the Meyiwas. “We confirm that we still hold a brief from the mother and sisters of the deceased in the matter. Unfortunately, there has been very little progress in the matter since our previous engagement with the media.”
When asked who is the mastermind behind this gruesome act, Venter said: “Unfortunately, we cannot make any information public that might jeopardise the case or the prosecution. We have cooperated and received cooperation from the SAPS (South African Police Service) and will not do anything to prejudice the investigation or trial. We are willing to state that our view is shared by the SAPS investigating team.”
In 2019, AfriForum announced that the civil rights organisation would be representing the Meyiwa family. Advocate Gerrie Nel was appointed as the Meyiwa family’s advocate in the investigation into the death of the former Bafana Bafana captain.
Meyiwa was gunned down on October 26, 2014, in what was described as a botched robbery in Vosloorus, east of Joburg, in the presence of his girlfriend Kelly Khumalo, her mother Ntombi, sister Zandi, Zandi’s boyfriend Longwe Twala, his friends Mthokozisi Twala and Tumelo Madlala, and their son, who was four-years-old at the time.
However, SAPS spokesperson Vishnu Naidoo is adamant that the police have made a crucial breakthrough into this case as five suspects have been arrested. “The SAPS has made significant progress in this investigation,” he said.
“At least five suspects, including the convicted Fisokuhle Ntuli, are in police custody awaiting trial for this case. They are expected to reappear in the Palm Ridge Court on 25 October 2021. SAPS management is satisfied with the progress made.”
Meanwhile, Sifiso Meyiwa speaking for the family, said they were “not satisfied (with the police) because they are misleading the investigation by arresting wrong suspects with an intention to close the case. One of these investigators is our suspect for allegedly removing a statement from a docket. We want him out of this case, ” he said.
“There is nothing new in the case. We believe that God is in control because we are working together with the other team of investigators who have true evidence.
“(There was) No ceremony, but we just registered the Senzo Meyiwa foundation this week, and we will be posting on social media, celebrating the life of a fallen hero,” said the brother.